Friday 21 September 2012

Mini Challenges

It can be really scary to sit and think 'oh my, I'm currently sat in a freezing cold house, in the middle of a small French town. In a week. I'll be teaching and then I'll be doing this and then that and oh oh, ARGH!' - believe me, I've sat here and done that. To be honest, it really isn't helpful either. I've been talking to a few friends this week, and I think we've all had a short moment when we've wished we were at home and going back to start final years in our respective UK universities. It can be frustrating, especially when French bureaucracy keeps on failing us. If you are seeing yourself in what I'm writing, know that you just have to make the most of it, you really don't have much choice about being in a francophone country for about 8 months (maybe more if you're not doing the BC Assistantship), but in the end, you're going to want to look back on your YA and have some good memories.

Pep talk over, well maybe not just yet. You have to push yourself, set yourself challenges. We all remember what it was like 2 years ago when we moved across or up/down the country to start Freshers' Week at university and all the challenges that followed. Take things one day at a time and you'll be fine. I know for myself, and those who know me well will also know, that this YA is a huge thing for me, but I'm determined to not be defeated by it.

Right.
So what have I been doing in the last couple of days?
Yesterday I went for a short walk round the market, I was only out for an hour so I don't think I managed to see it all, but in the short time I was there, a few blog-worthy things happened.

  • A few seconds after approaching the market, I was stopped by a charity worker who was getting me to buy some stuffed animals. Only have 20€ notes on me, and not wanting to risk not getting change back, I told him I'd come back. Well, in the end, I left the market by a different road, not intentionally, though.
  • I bought some nice earrings. They're flowers, which isn't like me, but the colour is gorgeous and they were only 2€.
  • 2 middle-aged, maybe older men started talking to me and one gave me a free leaflet. I looked down, then I realised I'd been caught by the French equivalent of Jehovah's Witnesses, I think these men were evangelic (is that the correct term?). When they asked me if I believed in God, I was truthful and said no. I was then offered the English book 'Our Daily Bread'. I told them that I was fine, but I would read the free leaflet because it was French.
  • I helped an elderly woman with a metal rod, bring a traffic cone into her house. That's as much as I understood. She would have never reached it by herself, because I think if she walked out the door, it would have locked her out, but the cone was too far away to reach, even with the rod. Who knows why she wanted the cone in the first place...
  • I signed and returned my contents insurance. I picked up a pre-stamped envelope from the post office which had a label underneath it for 0,77€. Took it to the desk to pay this amount, but I started off by saying that I wasn't quite sure what to do with it. The guy said it was all done and put the envelope in what I presume was the 'outgoing' stuff. I just hope the people on the other end don't get charged. I can't see that going down well...
  • I went to the Tourist Information Office and was given a few leaflets and I also found out where the nearest photo booth was located. I also overheard a young guy saying that he was in Lannion for the year. When we left, I did something very out of character, but went up to him and introduced myself. I gave him my email address so we could contact each other. Let's see what comes out of that.
  • I bought some photos for various ID cards I'll be obtaining. Seriously, if you're still in the UK and haven't got some like I was going to, go out and get some. For 5€, I got not one, not four, but 5 mugshots. Woo. I know you're not meant to look good on ID photos, but these are horrific. Jeez. Quite worrying how the background on the photos looks grey but... we'll see. It was better than paying God-knows how much for a photographer to take one.
A Hotel for Insects...

On the way to the bus station to get the mugshots, I walked past this. At first, I thought it was really bizarre. On the way back, I thought it was quite a good idea as long as there are no biting/stinging insects in there. 

I was going to go to the library today, but I saw on their website that there's some sort of Open Day tomorrow, so I'll go then, and maybe talk to some people. Tomorrow evening, I've decided that I will be going to the local bar that I've mentioned before, Le Chapelier. I didn't go on Thursday because I didn't want to walk back alone in the dark, but then I realised, I think I'll be doing that a fair bit over the next 7 months or so. Plus, it really is a too short a distance for an expensive taxi.

I should go and update my French blog now, but I certainly won't be writing as much as I do on here!
Bisous xx

No comments:

Post a Comment