Saturday 15 September 2012

I've arrived...

So, this is it. I'm in my little French town of Lannion. It was a long stressful journey to get here, but the main thing is that I got here safe and sound. It took 7 and a half hours (with 2 stops) to get to Plymouth port, so when I only arrived an hour before my ferry, I was panicking (that really doesn't look as if I've spelt it correctly...). I checked in and when I asked about access to the cabin, the check-in lady said someone would meet me at the embarkation doors. They didn't. I took the lift with my massive suitcase, holdall and laptop case, and then realised there was a fair walk to the ferry. Struggling along, I almost got to the end when a woman asked me if I wanted help, took one of my bags and gave it to her husband. Then there were about 40 steps to climb... thankfully, a guy took the case for me.



I found my cabin, got settled and tried to go to sleep. This was until they played the wake-up call music at 5am (5 hours later as we were still following British time). Another woman helped me with my stuff - notice how it's women who were volunteering to help me? - I had to ask the two men that did help me move my case a bit; upstairs or off the bus. I found my temporary housemate, Maxime, really easily. He helped me with my stuff and after I tried to get in the wrong side of the car, we left for Lannion.

Since being in Lannion and the house itself, I've managed to get half way through opening a bank account and I've been to the supermarket, only got enough to last me a few days though, so don't know what I'll do then as the supermarket is a fair way out. I've had a nap and now really feel as if I should start unpacking, but I have NONE of the motivation.

*a few hours later*
I've unpacked one bag, made my bed and had a shower. I want to go and get dinner, but there's people in the kitchen and I don't want to intrude... but it is my house too. Gah. Also, I want to avoid the awkward franglais conversation.



Think I'll leave it at this for now. I'm tempted to go and explore, but I think I'll stay in tonight. The little town is quite cute really, will take some photos soon. I don't think it's really sunk in yet that I'm here for at least 7 months now. Gulp.

No comments:

Post a Comment