Friday 5 October 2012

Busy, busy, busy!

As I've not posted here for a few days, I have quite a bit to write about, especially as I can now say that I've made it through my first week of teaching! (*^_^*). I've decided to reduce to bullet points half of the things I want to say and they can come first.

  • In the past 3 weeks, I've seen a couple of dogs which I believe to be stray, no possible owners were anywhere to be seen. I know the English are stereotyped by the French to love pets, possibly more than children, but I wasn't expecting to see abandoned dogs. I'm hoping there's some decent explanation for this and that I've got it all wrong, because it's quite disheartening as I don't know what I could do to help - without knowing for sure if they were stray.
  • I tried caramel tea on Wednesday. I'm not a tea/coffee drinker at all, but I thought, it can't be too bad can it? After adding 3 sugar cubes, I still couldn't drink it. It smelt of caramel but certainly didn't taste of it.
  • Remind me to never again live with guys, unless I already know them. The two guys I'm living with a really messy. They've not done the washing up for days, I'm not an obsessively clean person, but my, they are stretching my limits.
  • As bureaucracy goes, I've come across the first situation where France is just being slow. I am still without a password for the school network and I still don't know how to print or photocopy. Apparently, they'll 'keep me up-to-date' and put the password etc in my pigeonhole... Next week I'll attack the nightmare that is social security.
  • Wednesday evening, I finally made it to the launderette. After spending a total of 6,50€, I managed to wash a few tops, 2 pairs of jeans, a towel and some underwear. Jeez, I'm going to spend so much on washing. Moreover, as I walked into the launderette, I realised I had company. A man started talking to me but I couldn't quite understand him. After I started loading the machine, I realise that he wasn't actually washing anything himself, he was just using the place as a shelter while he got off his face by downing many beers. Thinking about it, I'm not actually sure if he sensed I was there, he was too busy talking to himself and his chérie.
So how have my classes gone in the last few days? Pretty damn well, I believe. 
Wednesday: I just had one class as one teacher was off ill. The lesson I did have was spent in a computer room, where the students insisted that the internet wasn't working, but they did manage to create an orchestral atmosphere by repeatedly causing the computer to play the 'error' sound. I knew what they were doing, they knew that I knew that, but we both knew that the teacher was rather clueless. 
At the end, she told me that she sensed that the students could have done work if they wanted to, but they chose not to, now they have to do the work at home, their problem. I remember the times when I couldn't be bothered to work whilst in class and as a result I had to finish it in my spare time, but now I look back and I can't think why I thought it was a good idea. This teacher also asked me to help with the upcoming oral examinations which I happily agreed to, then regretted it, when the only time which was suitable was Monday at 8am (and another one, but I'm needed for both).. Urggghhh.

Thursday: Normally, I will have 4 lessons on a Thursday, but this week I only had 1 as I wasn't need in the rest. The lesson I did have was the most challenging so far. The teacher had told me earlier in the week that I would be working with a small group of students and discussing the US Elections. Perfect. Cue me doing some panic-research into US politics, before grabbing several satirical cartoons. The lesson was slow to start as I ended up confusing them and it took a while for them to settle and listen to me, but afterwards I feel it went okay. I was certainly relieved when it was over, but I felt I did well. Not sure what the students thought, but, hey ho.

Today (Friday): Every other week, I have 1 lesson on a Friday which is slightly irritating, but at least it's not horrifically early, 11am and it's not every week. When I introduced myself this time, the teacher made sure that some students asked me some questions and I got questions such as; 'Do you like France?' and 'Why are you here?' For the rest of the lesson I just observed whilst the worked in groups to study an American TV commerical (read: advert). Yes, the students are, of course, learning American English. This first struck me when I watched the teacher spell words with missing 'U's and substituting 'S's with a 'Z'. This could be interesting, but hey, at least I'll get to teach the students British vocabulary and pronunciation. 
After the lesson, I had a brief chat with the teacher, who is really lovely, she said she felt bad for me having to come in on a Friday, especially for her lesson as she's sure I'll 'get better examples from other teachers'. I told her to not be so hard on herself and that I didn't mind coming in. 
What's funny though, is that before meeting each new teacher, I'll have an image in my head of what I think they'll look like, which is created purely on the basis of their name (usually surname only). The teacher today was the biggest contrast I've ever been faced with. I had imagined her to be a well-built, middle-aged woman with greyish hair and glasses. Well, the glasses were right...

Other things that I feel I should mention include the successes and failures I've had today. I have ordered a French SIM card. Yes, finally, I know. The part where I failed though is that, due to attempting to get this card, I now have a blocked debit card for websites which use Verified by Visa and to sort it out I have to call an 09 number... great. Not looking forward to that. I believe it would have happened, even if I had been filling in the form myself because having a quick look around on the good ol' internet, I'm not the only one it's happened to. However, I feel that my friend Kirsty needs a mention here because without her, I still might not have a SIM (okay, I'd have gone to SFR and got a less good deal) and I'd still be without Norton Security. So, yes, thank-you, again. :)

I also managed to send a letter to my grandparents today. Not exactly a big feat, but I was served by a really friendly woman in the post office who talked me through the whole process. There is a sponge which you press your stamps onto so you don't have to lick them. That's cool. Well, it was once I realised what i had to do with it... She also told me that it is an absolute must to visit Brest. Yes, Madame, I'll be doing that.

Also, on Wednesday, I finally met up with Philipp, the German assistant and we went for a coffee to get to know each other a little more. Other bizarre and interesting experiences I had that afternoon include; being interviewed by Pauline, a student journalist, going to the beach in the rain and having a photo shoot by said journalist and meeting Albert, a rabbit who thinks he's a dog.

I think this post is long enough now, so I'm going to end it here. Tomorrow I am going to Rennes to meet up with all the other assistants (and I've saved money again on train tickets because Philipp is going to drive there). I will let you know how that goes.

Bisous xx

No comments:

Post a Comment