Friday 19 October 2012

Happy Month-iversary



I've now been living in my little French town for a month. This was something that crossed my mind when walking back from a bar. Tonight, I had my first almost-proper social time since I've been here. Over the last two weeks I've been meeting people in the académie of Rennes who are also an assistant like I am, and on Tuesday, I met some more people who either live in my town, or very close by.

As I've not updated this blog for a week, and it's now quarter to midnight, I will just give a brief overview of what happened on the days of the week which are worth mentioning. Let's start with last Saturday. This was a day where most of the assistants in the region met up to meet each other and have a good day in the big city. As you could have predicted, it rained ALL day but it didn't stop us from sitting outside at cafés and walking round the streets looking for the best creperie. I spent most of the day talking in English as I was with a group of native English speakers and a token German who could speak English better than she could French, so there was no question about it.

Tuesday was the stage d'accueil, the training day. I woke up late, but managed to scramble out of bed and walk to the school for just after 8am, to meet Philipp who then drove to the school. The morning was spent listening to men who worked for the local equivalent of the British Council and filling in forms to do with Social Security. This was the moment where I realised I'd made a mistake. I had remembered that I needed to bring my birth certificate with me, but didn't realise that they only wanted a photocopy, along with a copy of my passport and bank details. After a few minutes of panic, it was sorted that I would send the documents the next day. I knew there'd be someone who would forget the documents, but as I am normally a very organised person, I never thought it would have been me. There was one form which made me shake my head, almost in disbelief, but more in a 'this is so typically French' way; it was one form, three pages long, which asked for the same information, three times. If I didn't know my name and address of by heart before that form, I did afterwards. The afternoon was spent with an English teacher who gave us ideas of things we could do with the students. She also showed us some images which may be risky to use as class material; things including anti-smoking ads (above) and anything containing abuse, but at the end she handed out some images which we could take and use for ourselves - one of which showed a man kneeling over a dying/dead child just so he could get a good photo of something else. Right, because THAT makes sense.


************About a week later... ************

Yeah, I'm really sorry for not having updated this sooner, I was either too busy, tired or just couldn't be bothered. You should feel lucky this is getting updated now, I've not touched my French blog since I arrived.

I can't remember what I was going to write for the rest of that week, so it can't have been that important. I'll tell you about this week instead, but include the weekend. On Saturday I met up with a few of the assistants who live in Lannion, or nearby and we went for a drink. It was here that I learnt a new phrase, both the English and the French versions - apparently, it was like we were at a 'Sausage Fest/Fete des saucisses' because for most of the evening, we were the only women in the bar. Sunday wasn't very interesting, I had a lot of lesson preparation to do and other chores, but the highlight of the day was talking to the entire family on Skype via my sister's iPhone - being passed around from pillar to post did give the effect of being on a rocky boat, but it was good - especially seeing my 2-year old niece trying to turn my 9-year old nephew into a frog!

Monday 
This was quite a scary day. I doubt that I've already mentioned it here, but I agreed to help a teacher with the oral tests for two of her classes that I don't actually work with. She had asked me if I would do it, and I didn't want to say no and it sounded like a challenge, so why not? Only when I realised that the only suitable times were either Monday at 8am or Tuesday in the between two other lessons did I begin to regret it. Monday morning rolled around, I crawled (not literally, which might surprise some of you) into the staffroom to find the teacher downing a mug of coffee to wake her up - if only I drank coffee too. They all find it really strange that I don't drink coffee, tea, wine or that much in the way of alcohol - it is often the case that exceptions prove the rule or stereotype, though. 

Anyway, the oral tests, the first girl I sat down with was very shy and hardly said anything, but I'm also tempted to think she hadn't prepared either. The second girl did really well but by the time she had finished, the teacher was giving a monologue to the class about how she was disappointed that no-one had prepared, that she was sorry for dragging me out of bed and that they would all be penalised for this (I managed to make sure that the second girl I spoke to wouldn't be punished as she had done reasonably well. I'm making it seem as if this teacher is horrible, she's not, she's lovely, to me and also to the students, if they do what they are meant to do, this is the case with a lot of teachers and as I was a 'teacher's pet' at school, I never saw the nasty side of my teachers. 

One final note for Monday was that, in the afternoon, I had a class with a trainee teacher, which is fine, nothing wrong with that. We all walked into the classroom and I noticed that the students were taking ages to sit down... but then I realised that they were waiting to be told to sit down. Woah, I felt like I had gone back a few decades or moved to a different culture entirely. This teacher is a young guy, so it was not as if he was being a stickler and all traditional. None of the other classes are like this, the students just walk in and sit down, like we're all used to. After thinking about it a bit later, this class was predominantly boys who are on a vocational course, so maybe the teacher has taken that approach to set some sort of discipline level. I re-introduced myself to the class (saw half of them the week before when the teacher was absent) and got them to ask me some questions. This was the first time that I came across the 'do you have a boyfriend question'. When they realised I was single, one cheeky student asked for my number. I smiled at the teacher as I was SO tempted to make up a random number to see how the students would react, but I didn't and decided to ignore the question altogether.

Tuesday and Wednesday
Tuesday was rather normal, except I had the other lot of oral tests, but these went much better than Monday's. Although it made me smile when the students tried to argue about the score I had given them, because they didn't understand my English accent. I told them that my accent was not that strong and that I knew they had understood me as they tried to reply but couldn't. Wednesday was normal, but went for drinks in the evening, this time I pushed the boat out and had an apple juice. Oh yeah.

Thursday
This was the longest working day I've had so far. I finally got to meet one of my classes. I hadn't seen them before due to them having exams or elections for the délégués, the class representative. Another gem came from a question which one of the students asked me; 'Do you have a French origin?' I replied that no, I didn't, all my family were born in either England or Ireland, I just happen to have a French name. It was at this point that the teacher added 'but you never know, maybe the next generation will be born in France, it often happens with language assistants'. Fantastic.

I should have had 4 lessons that day, but the third one ended up being cancelled because the teacher was absent and by the time I had gone to the Vie Scolaire office and returned to the classroom, all the students had disappeared. This was okay though as I spent what was now my two-hour gap, preparing a game for the final lesson of the day. On small pieces of paper I wrote the names of people, places or animals, some turned out to be rather challenging, and the game would require students to ask questions to find out who or what was on the piece of paper. It went well, despite the students not putting their hands up and getting rather excited - but it got the students to practice questions which is exactly what the teacher wanted. For this class, I work with the teacher, which is more than fine by me because I have back-up support and because she's lovely (same one who suggested I might have children in France).

At half 4, my teaching day finished, but I couldn't go home. I decided to finally throw myself into joining the college choir. The choir sessions are an hour and a half long, but by the time everyone is settled and had the cigarette break at half time, there is only about a hour of singing time. There is more of a language barrier than I thought there would be, but I like a challenge and I am sure that I will pick the terminology up quickly - unlike the choreography. For those of you in the choir back in Leeds, you will know this, but for anyone else, I do not have much co-ordination to be able to sing and dance. The choir is currently learning three songs; May It Be by Enya, an African song called Amavolovolo, and Dextera Domini, which I believe to be a religious psalm. Have a look at a video which shows an example of the singing and dancing routine that I will be learning.


That's about all for now. Not currently got any plans for the weekend, but I'm sure something will crop up. I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise for the lack of photos, my camera appears to have died... I am so annoyed about this, but will look into buying another one along with boring things such as a railcard and wellies. Next week is the last week before a two-week holiday, and I would love to go travelling in that time, but it'll be such a shame to be camera-less.

Anyway, this is long enough.
Au revoir xx

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having fun and meeting loads of new people. I'm glad your lessons are going well and your students seem nice. The choir sounds fun too, I would love to see the moves that go with the songs! And by the way, it is true that many language assistants stay in their host country! Continue to have fun and enjoy the 2 week break, we only have aweek here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh sorry I've just seen this. Things are still going well here, just spent some time in Rennes and I plan to go and see a friend in another town next week. the dancing definitely will be a challenge for me, but you never know, I might show you when I'm back.

      I was thinking yesterday about how I'd like to live in a big French city later on in life. How much further on I don't know, because if my plans go well, I need to be in the UK for another few years at least. Hope your half-term was relaxing x

      Delete
  2. Haha, Sausage Fest. Never imagined that coming up, or that it would have a translation. Well, you learn something new everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing the kind of slang phrases that I'm learning.

      Delete
  3. Hi I'm enjoying reading your blog as I'm now the assistant at the same school as you. I was wondering which choir you joined as I would like to meet some people here.

    ReplyDelete