Wednesday 15 August 2012

Am I excited yet?

I'm currently trying to determine whether excitement has surpassed my anxiety yet. 
Deep down, I know the answer is no; don't be ridiculous, I'm always going to be anxious about it, each new day will bring new experiences to me. But maybe my anxiousness is reaching a manageable level... 

Over the past few days I've done a few things to bring me that tiny bit more closer to my Year Abroad. I've returned forms to the CAF, sent a letter to the Principal of the college because I believe he didn't receive my email (or ignored it...), talked to one of my housemates, who'll sadly be leaving at the end of September and read a blog from an American girl who was an assistant in the same school as I will be. Certainly some interesting things to bear in mind from reading it...

My last post talked about the nightmarish journey I was preparing myself to have on 3 French trains, however, it turns out that someone, probably my housemate, will be coming to find me at the port. Roscoff is roughly 70km from Lannion, which by car, can be reached in just over an hour. My landlord suggested that, instead of getting all the trains which meant I wouldn't arrive in Lannion until lunchtime, someone will pick me up - then I'll have time to open the bank account that morning. 

What?
I'm sorry... you actually expect me to be awake and coherent enough to be able to open a bank account, in French? On verra.

******************************************************

It's just come to my attention that I've not really told you, the readers, about the school in which I'll be working. So I feel that now is a prime opportunity. I'll be working in a lycée, called Félix Le Dantec, which is like a college here where we would take GCSEs (for how much longer?) and A-levels. Over in France, students take the baccalauréat comprised of varying subjects and pathways. Le Dantec is a polyvalent college which basically means that it is multidisciplinary. 

As I'm sure you've guessed, the college is named after Félix-Alexandre le Dantec, who, according to Wikipédia, was a French biologist and philosopher who died of tuberculosis in 1917. I don't recognise any of his works, but he liked to write about Darwinism and other theories like that. For those of you who can read French, you can read this Wiki page or if you can't, you'll have to live as I can't find an English Wiki page on him. Time for a photo or two to round off, I think:




No comments:

Post a Comment