Monday 4 June 2012

A Fruitless Search

I've started to look for accommodation, even though it will be rather pointless considering I don't know the precise location of where I'll be working. It's so exciting though. I've just spent over an hour scrolling through www.leboncoin.fr clicking on all the decent-looking advertisements for flatmates. It would be scary to live solely with French natives or with foreigners with whom the mutual language would be French. My brain would implode! Yet, it is what I'm supposed to do on my Year Abroad, I'm meant to completely immerse myself in the francophone culture. I guess, I'd just like to know one English speaking person, a bit like a safety blanket. There's some beautiful apartments with fantastic views, but I can't do anything about it really. Not until I hear from the school I'm working at; it is then and only then when I can 'hop over' to France and run around seeing these places for real.

For now though, here's a picture of La Place de la République.
I've just been told that, at a guess, the city of Rennes is about the same size as my home town, Leicester, so that's not bad at all. Quite a decent size, but not terrifying big. Now I'm just 'walking' around the city on Google Maps, which I have to say is such a fantastic resource for this kind of thing. As soon as I know the address of my placement, I'll be looking it up on there.

No comments:

Post a Comment